Investment management approach
The Sun Life Global Investments Portfolio Management Team is dedicated to building and managing investment solutions with best-in-class managers for each asset class. The team has access to a wealth of global resources including:
- Sun Life Financial's International Investment Centre (IIC), an independent investment consulting team, which has relationships with over 125 asset managers around the world. The IIC provides manager and fund selection recommendations to the Portfolio Management Team, and also regularly monitors the managers and funds selected.
- Sun Life Financial's internal investment teams, who provide another layer of support that includes market intelligence, trade execution for the portfolios and assistance in developing investment strategies.
At Sun Life Global Investments, we have our finger on the pulse of global trends and market conditions giving us the ability to deliver some of the best investment ideas from around the world. We do the research for you. Sun Life Global Investments is part of Sun Life Financial, a global leader in asset management with:
- Over 150 years of investing experience and a presence in 26 countries around the world
- Over 200 investment professionals and $865* billion in assets under management
- Deep and established relationships with some of the world's best asset managers who oversee $100* billion in assets for Sun Life Financial
* Data as of June 30, 2016 in Canadian dollars.
Fund manager selection process
Through a rigorous research process, Sun Life Global Investments identifies and selects asset managers who demonstrate a repeatable investment process and superior long-term performance.
When selecting investment managers, we are looking for the following key attributes:
|Fit for mandate||Investment approach consistent with the mandate we were looking to fill.|
|Organizational structure and stability||Stability in the firm’s ownership structure and culture, with a plan in place for the firm’s ownership transition and succession.|
|Organizational strategy||Clearly articulated and in line with the mission and vision for our firm|
|Experience/tenure of key investment professionals||Proven record of success, with their compensation aligned to our interests.|
|Investment philosophy and process||Clear, disciplined, repeatable investment process that had been in place for a long period of time.|
|Risk management||Dedicated focus to understanding and managing risk as this is a critical part of the investment process.|
|Track record||Assessment that all of the above is providing superior performance.|